Friday, April 4, 2014

April Fool's Day: Room Mom Edition

Sometimes I can be downright mean.

I'm the Room Mom for my son's second grade class. Each week, I send out a "Week at a Glance" email letting the parents know what's going on in the classroom and school that week. I will sometimes put due dates for projects, etc. But that requires me to be aware of them first, so that usually doesn't make it into the email.

But this past week it did:

Note the April 1 entry.





You have to understand that teachers at our school (bless their hearts) love two things more than anything else: projects and costumes. Every topic they teach involves either a costume (parents often included) or something that involves glue, construction paper, twigs, cotton balls, wood,  paint, and occasionally power tools.

Shakespeare Festival 2012


Soon after the email went out, the flurry of responses began hitting my inbox.

What is this model globe thing? I have no idea what that is. 

I don't know anything about Shakespeare model? Are they doing at school? We never got a handout or anything!! 

Uh, what globe theater project???!! I didn't have any paper describing that!
I was not aware of a Globe Theatre Project?
uhhhh….the build a model globe theatre project???  I don’t know what that its.  should I?
Can u send me a pic of the instructions?  [Name withheld to protect the innocent] told me she didn't have the instructions for the Shakespeare costumes. I wasn't worried about that. But I guess the theater project was included too! 

Then I ramped it up:

It seems that some people didn't get the handout. It was assigned last week. They're supposed to build a model Globe Theatre using approx 1000 toothpicks. Crazy huh? It only takes about 3-4 hours to do if you build it on the base of a cardboard box.

As the parents got freaked out, I'd let them in on the joke ... one person at a time. The responses varied from "Oh that's awesome! Great prank!" to ... well ... not quite so enthusiastic. But everyone had a good attitude. Some even found humor in it...

Glad you're not mad!

Well I did wake the baby so I could get to hobby lobby before 3 pm pick up , then got in a car accident at state bridge  because baby was crying and I was so flustered....

One dad even pranked me right back, and I fell for it completely.

Just in case anyone from the class is reading this, I fully expect some sort of payback.

Let the pranking begin!

Toodles,
DDD



No comments:

Post a Comment